ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 is an ATX + AM3 socket motherboard with ringtone and whistle. AMD desktop operating systems, above the very low power part, are divided into two main types of sockets, AM3 / AM3 + socket, and FM2 socket.
One major difference is that the FM2 is completely targeted at the low-cost segment where dedicated GPUs are not used because the chips support internal graphics.
Conversely, AM3 + GPU socket chips do not have an internal interface and are therefore typically used with external graphics.
So the ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 is built to take advantage of some of ASUS’s unique features and apply them to the AM3 + socket section. Let’s take a look at what the ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 has to offer.
Design and Connection ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0
The ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 is a standard ATX motherboard. This means that it works on almost any medium to full tower chassis, as well as most server chassis in situations where you want to re-target the motherboard for a few years.
The color scheme is what we are used to with current generation ASUS motherboards.
The CPU area is made up of large VRM conical heatsinks that are tapered to allow large cooling sinks to be installed in the CPU socket area.
They cool a 6 + 2 phase digital processor transfer mechanism and a two-phase memory power delivery system.
In general, the CPU area should cool easily in most cooling sinks and closed loops. As can be seen in the quick specification summary below, the board supports not only non-buffer non-ECC DIMMs but also ECC DIMMs.
In terms of expansion, the ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 has four physical PCIe 2.0 x16 slots (2x x16 electric and 2x x4 electric), one PCIe x1 slot and one older PCI slot.
ASUS distances PCIe slots so that three of them can be easily used for dual-slot GPUs.
To connect the drive, ASUS provides seven internal SATA ports. The AMD SB 950 processor has five internal SATA III 6.0gbps ports.
An ASMedia SATA controller to provide 2x SATA III 6.0gbps ports on the ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0. This motherboard has a total of eight SATA III 6.0gbps ports, which provides more storage space than most users need.
You can also see the USB 3.0 front panel connection on the front edge of the ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0.
By moving to the rear input / output panel, you can see a bunch of external ports on the ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0. First there are separate PS / 2 keyboard and mouse ports.
The audio interface is supported by ALC892 CODEC, which supports optical S / PDIF as well as six audio jacks. Earlier mention was made of the 6.0 Gbps eSATA port on the AMD SB950 South Bridge.
Next to it there are eight USB 2.0 ports and two USB 3.0 ports. A standard GIGABYTE Ethernet port can also be found using the Realtek 8111F controller.
ASUS highlights the board’s audio capabilities with the following features:
- Absolute sound Real sound 192 kHz / 24-bit True BD without loss
- Blu-ray audio layer protects the content
- DTS Ultra PC II
- DTS connection
- ASUS noise filter
Overall, many items are packaged in the ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0, which currently retails for less than US $ 140.
ASUS has added several Windows 8 Exclusive features to the ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 motherboard.
Software features ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0
ASUS has worked on several software features to really stand out among the motherboard makers.
Probably the most interesting software is the UEFI interface that ASUS offers. For those who are accustomed to the standard BIOS and have been using it for decades, the ability to use a mouse is welcome.
Using the mouse was almost necessary because navigating the keyboard was not as smooth as the old AMI, Phoenix, and Award BIOS software.
The UEFI interface provides a simple model (called EZ mode) that shows things like startup sequence and allows the user to switch profiles between an energy-saving profile, a balanced profile, and a performance index.
Beyond the UEFI interface, ASUS offers a suite of software including AISuite II and ASUS Fan Xpert.
Many details can be found on the ASUS site, but the highlights of this software are the following capabilities:
- Control system information from fan speed, temperature, voltage, clock speed, etc. and set alerts. This feature is often overlooked, but ASUS puts a lot of functionality into its Probe tool.
- Adjust EPU power saving specifications and features. EPU is a feature of ASUS motherboards that is designed to intelligently reduce power consumption.
- Adjust and test the fan speed using Fan Xpert +. This can be helpful if you want to set thresholds and test them to increase the workload to slow down the idle fan speed.
- Use Network iControl to prioritize network traffic (great feature when multitasking).
- BIOS tools such as USB BIOS Flashback for BIOS recovery and ASUS EZ Flash 2 for faster flashing of newer BIOS versions
- iControl Network for QoS services
- Lots of expansion options
- Very stable platform
- Many ASUS extras that differentiate the motherboard
- Not the easiest quadGPU spacing, even though there are lots of PCIe slots
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Specification
- AMD AM3+ FX™/Athlon™ II/Phenom™ II/Sempron™ 100 Series Processors
- Supports AM3+ 32 nm CPU
- Supports CPU up to 220 W
- AMD Cool ‘n’ Quiet™ Technology
- 4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2133(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz ECC, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
- Dual Channel Memory Architecture
- Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
- Due to OS limitation, when installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Install a 64-bit Windows® OS when you want to install 4GB or more memory on the motherboard.
- Due to CPU spec., AMD 100 series CPUs support up to DDR3 1066MHz. With ASUS design, this motherboard can support up to DDR3 1333MHz.
- Up to 5.2 GT/s HyperTransport™ 3.0
- Multi-GPU Support
- Supports NVIDIA® Quad-GPU SLI™ Technology
Supports AMD Quad-GPU CrossFireX™ Technology
- 2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (dual x16)
- 2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black)
- 1 x PCIe 2.0 x1
- 1 x PCI
- AMD SB950 controller :
- 5 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray,
- 1 x eSATA port(s), red,
- ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller :
- 2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue,
- Realtek® 8111F, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)
- Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports: Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound
- Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection
- DTS Ultra PC II
- DTS Connect
- ASUS Noise Filter
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
- ASMedia® USB 3.1 Gen 1 controller :
- 4 x USB 3.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)
- AMD SB950 controller :
- 14 x USB 2.0 port(s) (8 at back panel, black, 6 at mid-board)
ROG Exclusive Features
Overclocking Protection :
ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)
ASUS Dual Intelligent Processors 3 with New DIGI+ Power Control :
SMART DIGI+ :
Smart DIGI+ Key- Quickly delivers optimized VRM frequency, voltage and current for superior CPU/DRAM overclocking performance with one click.
ASUS TPU :
– Auto Tuning
ASUS EPU :
ASUS Digital Power Design :
– Industry leading Digital 6 + 2 Phase CPU Power Design
– Industry leading Digital 2 Phase DRAM Power Design
– CPU Power Utility
– DRAM Power Utility
ASUS Exclusive Features :
– Remote GO!
– USB BIOS Flashback®
– AI Suite II
– Ai Charger+
– Front Panel USB 3.0 Support
– ASUS UEFI BIOS EZ Mode featuring friendly graphics user interface
– Network iControl
– USB 3.0 Boost
ASUS Quiet Thermal Solution :
– Stylish Fanless Design Heat-pipe solution
– ASUS Fan Xpert
ASUS EZ DIY :
– Precision Tweaker 2
– ASUS O.C. Profile
– ASUS EZ Flash 2
– ASUS MyLogo 2
– Multi-language BIOS
ASUS Q-Design :
– Q-LED (CPU, DRAM, VGA, Boot Device LED) ASUS
– ASUS Q-Connector
Operating System Support
- Windows® 8.1 & 8 &7 & XP
- Windows® Vista
Overall, the ASUS M5A99FX is a great motherboard for the price and application.
The motherboard was rocky in terms of stability during the test. ASUS has also listed many features such as the UEFI BIOS interface and the ASUS Fan Xpert.
These extras have a big impact on a $ 140 motherboard because they are features that ASUS provides with the motherboard, so you do not need to search for an utility to operate them. Using ASUS EZ Flash 2 makes it very easy to use a screen like ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0.